Sunday, July 13, 2008

My First Blog


Well, here goes nothing, or maybe it'll be something. Need to give this thing a try. Anyhow....

I am currently in California. Came out to do some work, tow a boat back, move stuff, and help my brother out in whatever capacity possible - as he is preparing for deployment to Iraq. He reports Thursday July 17, but will be in training for about three months prior to actual combat duty. Stop one will be about a month at Camp Roberts in California, followed by two months in Wisconsin. Wisconsin!!!??? For some odd reason, the rolling hills and greenery in Wisconsin seem to resemble Iraq in no way, shape, or form. Is there a corelation with milk and cheese?Correct me if I am wrong, but training in a hot, arid climate, would seem to be more logical. But then again, I've heard that I'm trying to think logically, and that is the wrong way to think with respect to the Army.

Anyone who knows me is aware of how much I despise our presence in Iraq. Its a bunch of political B.S. This attitude does not mean I don't believe we should support our troops in every way possible, it just means I believe we shouldn't be there in the first place. I hope that every soldier there currently and deploying in the future gets home safely. I just hope Bush doesn't decide we need to pick a fight with Iran as well. It is a scary thought, and the last thing our country needs.

The sites I went to for work were located in the Sacramento area and up along Interstate 80 and near Northstar Tahoe. I really enjoy going to the Sierra mountaintop locations. The views would have been spectacular if not for all the smoke from fires.

I took Tanner and my nephew Skyler up to locations at Signal Peak and Mt. Pluto. They seemed to enjoy being along. Fortunately, it was a bit cooler than it has been in the Sacramento Valley. When I flew in with Tanner last Tuesday, the temperature was 108 degrees, followed by subsequent 110 and 108 degree days. I don't care for the heat, never have. How anyone could live in a place like Phoenix or Vegas is beyond me.

Well, I'll check to see how this post publishes. After moving things all day, I am a bit wiped out. I need to get some work done so that I can stress a bit less about helping my brother "pack" everything he has.

2 comments:

plugalong said...

Comment the first!
(heh).

smellame said...

well yay! welcome to the blogging world!